Tacoma, WA, continued

Feb 3, 2007
Current mood:jubilant

Casey trying to look serious!
Tacoma Continued :)

So, Casey and I went and sat in our theatre chairs surrounded by people in colors. Loud, obnoxious people that kept kicking our seats and talked through the entire movie like a bunch of squirrels. But the movie was AWESOME!!!! I didn't think I'd like it, especially when Casey said during the first scene that it was about break dancing, I assumed the whole thing was going to be about gangs and rap. It wasn't. It was cool!!
Back at Nana's and Papa's house, Casey had the key to the back door and we snuck in quietly reminiscent of when his dad and I used to sneak out after hanging out at Magoo's all night. It was weird. Here I was 20 years later in the exact same place doing the exact same thing, even lingering in Nana's kitchen to eat the goodies she left out for us to snack on. Even stranger yet is that we climbed Scarlett's staircase to the bedroom at the top of the stairs. This used to be Aunt Cathy's room, then it used to be my room, then it was Sarah's room, then it was Jake and Casey's room. It is filled with antiques and the double bed that I used to sleep in has been replaced by two antique twin beds. The one I'm sleeping in is Jake's but it's empty during the week. Casey put on Scary Movie and we spent the rest of the night laughing and talking ourselves to sleep. The last memory I have before the darkness engulfed me was of watching Casey in the bed next to me and the irony of being in this room with him half a lifetime later. Life is ironic. Who would have thought.  If I told anyone that I spent four nights at my ex-husband's house with his girlfriend and then proceeded to spend another night at my first ex-husband's parents house, I'm sure they would think it was nuts. And if you knew the WHOLE story of the last decade and half, you would really think it was even more nuts. Maybe so. That's why this experience is twice as sweet!!!!

Casey on his 1st tour to Afghanistan


I woke up with a smile across my face, as I smelled the familiar aroma of Nana's coffee and the sound of the cast iron skillets in the kitchen downstairs. They were on their way to 7am mass instead of the 9:00 one because the Seahawks game was at 10, and with Papa, there are priorities that you have to make amends for, football being first and foremost. When they returned from church, Nana had the whole Sunday spread for Casey and I at the dining table, I really was still a princess in this house. On the table were two table settings fit for royalty. She had the silver out along with the juice glass, coffee cup, a pitcher of orange juice, a fresh pot of coffee, cream sugar, scrambled eggs, sausage, fruit, Papa's fresh homemade toasted bread with Nana's summer made famous crabapple jelly (which she of course sent a jar home with me along with the Christmas presents).

After breakfast, we headed out to the Tacoma mall to get Casey's ear pierced. On the way we were rear-ended by a big, huge Ford 150 pickup truck at a red light, which completely took off his front bumper. Way to build 'em Ford! That's why real men drive Titan's!! We pulled off into the Barnes and Noble parking lot to access the damage when I noticed that he had a Denver Bronco's license plate holder. Yep, he was from Denver and had moved to Tacoma only a few years ago. Thanks to German engineering, Squeaky came out without a scratch except that the A from my Colorado Avalanche bumper sticker is now on his bumper. The guy who hit us turned out to be an asshole though. He was late twenties with his wife and daughter in the truck and an ego that made his truck look like a matchbox. He called the police when I suggested that we just exchange information since he was the one that hit me and there was no damage to my car. He picked up his cell phone and called the police. I told him that we were already running on a tight schedule and he proceeded to inform me that if I left, it would be considered leaving the scene of an accident and I could be prosecuted under a felony. Of course, I asked him how he knew that little tidbit of information, and he told me that he hangs out a lot with cops. All he needed was the Wannabe badge pinned to his front pocket and you know he probably has a police scanner in his truck and on his kitchen counter at home. I called him an idiot under my breath and waited for the drama. After 911 told him to get over himself and that the Tacoma Police Department had more important things to do with their time, we left to the mall. The Seahawk's lost, Casey got his ear pierced, and we drove back to Nana and Papa's.

Brothers, Best Friends.....Jake and Casey
I dropped Casey off  and immediately after pulling away from the icy curb, I yearned for the next time we would be together. It would be months. The beautiful thing about driving a car is most of the time you think that you are invisible while you are doing what you're doing when you're in it. So I cried. Because I knew no one could see me.

xoxoxox......I miss you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment