Hades

Apr 22, 2007
Current mood:touched



Home


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLLMzr3PFgk ~"How Great Thou Art"
                                                                                         Carrie Underwood & Vince Gill

 Hades.........sometimes I believe I'm living in it.
If you consider that Satan was cast out of heaven and bound to earth, than that statement would be true!
Until, through tears of devastation, my eyes capture the beauty of adversity and my heart embraces the wisdom of learning along with the ultimate submission of faith.
It all started with the first stupid snowstorm back in December. It seems to have set a bigger snowball in motion, a snowball that is now as big as the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man in Ghostbusters. I need gummy bears. A lot of them. Doughnuts wouldn't be so bad either. Chocolate cake ones with lots of chocolate icing.
Once upon a time, a long time ago, I was a Job's Daughters. From the age of twelve to eighteen, I gathered with a whole bunch of girls in the same age group and we would take over the Masonic Lodge on A Street in Anchorage every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month dressed in our white satin robes with royal purple chords. We looked liked angels, in a Greek kind of way. The next three hours were spent studying the book of Job. My parents must have gone to a fortuneteller before I was born. Somehow, someone, somewhere must have given them some brilliant insight to my life attracting calamities. At the time I just thought it was great because we got to eat cupcakes and cookies afterwards and maybe spy on the Demolay boys every now and then. J I didn't realize how much I would fall back on the lessons of Job. At this time, more than ever.
Job is a book of infinite wisdom, hope and unrelenting faith in the face of continual catastrophe that would bring anyone to the brink of sanity. It is one of the few books that are written in prose so it's easy to read and yet sophisticated in its teachings. I read it last night until 3:30 in the morning, the first time since I was in Jobies.
Though the past five months have been just short of touring Hades first class, the moments of splendor, the shoulder of enduring friendships, the perceptive words of children, the smell of the wind, the stunning landscapes of a solo drive, the blue heron that inadvertently lands next to me at the pool, the spontaneous times of unpredicted love that hang by a moment if only for a moment are pieces of God. They are sustenance in a world that the only constant is change.
Suffering teaches us about our own insuffiency and leads us to have a greater faith in Heavenly Father. He requires that we have a faith and hope that perseveres under the greatest of adversities.
I realize that my perception of tragedies is nothing compared to others in most of the world.
With that enlightenment, my soul seems to soar, my burdens released and I make valentine cookies with sweet buttercream frosting and pink and white sprinkles. They taste almost as good as pizza, doughnuts and gummy bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment